Tulips

Tulips

Thursday, April 14, 2011

I Won't Let Go

I recently heard a song by country music group Rascal Flatts. The song is entitled “I Won’t Let Go.” Turns out the songwriter, Jason Sellers, is a Christian and had more than human relationships in mind as he wrote the song. My daughter got the album for Christmas and thought I would like this song. I did like it. It touched something deep inside me, a place where I have stored memories of hurts like broken promises and broken relationships. I know my daughter shared it with me because it touched the same place in her, although her memories of brokenness are still quite raw.

Isn’t it true that we all want the assurance that someone, even if it is only one person, will be there for us no matter what, through thick and thin? Don’t we all want someone who will hold us tight when life drags us down, when we are depressed and just can’t put on a happy face one more time? Don’t we all wish for someone who will keep his/her promise to stand by us forever?

I thought of that song this morning as I did my devotions. The responsive reading in the lectionary for today included part of Ps. 105:8 as the refrain: “The LORD remembers his covenant forever.” Forever. Let that sink in for a minute.

How many broken relationships are in your past? How many times have you been left out, ignored, rejected, or even betrayed? Or maybe you have felt so low, that you didn’t even feel worthy of someone’s friendship; felt that no one could possibly love you because you simply weren’t worth loving?

If you are a Christian, you can know that even when everyone around fails you, breaks promises, and leaves, God will never leave you or forsake you. Like a good parent, nothing you do can make God love you more; nothing you do can make God love you less. Human relationships should reflect this sort of steadfast love that characterizes God. But quite often they don’t.

When they don’t (and even when they do) be assured of this: God always remembers his promise to be your God forever. God really won’t let go – not now; not ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment